Knut K. Steintjønndalen, 1955

This fiddle was brought to me with an ugly crack.  It had
been open for years, considerable varnish was missing
around it, and the wood was dirty and distorted.

As I began to work on it, more problems were revealed.  
The fiddle had been worked on badly in the past:  The
end-button had been glued in.  There was thick white glue
around the crack.  And there was considerable wood
missing near the edges, presumably from some previous
opening of the instrument.

The bass bar had been glued in (clearly by the maker)
badly enough that the top was distorted.  And one of the
corner blocks was too short.

I decided to take out the bass bar and press out the
distortion in the top - a major operation.

My work on this instrument is not finished; these pictures
were taken just before I put the top back on.  There is
more work to be done on the outside of this fiddle.
The slightly darker wood running
up to the edge, about midway
between the line of cleats, fills in
wood that was missing,
presumably from when the
instrument was opened before.
A patch filling in more
missing wood.
The top ready to glue back on, with new patches,
cleats, and bass bar.  This is a three-piece top:
there are two joints, along the two rows of cleats.  
The smaller darker ones above the sound hole on
the treble side are original.  The rest are mine.
Anund Roheim had
something to do with
this instrument.
The too-short corner block.  I
decided to leave this alone.
The new bass bar
The label.